5th Worcester Scout Group has four Sections: Beavers (x2 Colonies), Cub Pack (x2) and three Scout Troops. Currently, Thursday Cub Section is full, as is Wednesday Scouts; but we run a joining list system to enable parents to register that their young people wish to join a Section. There are spaces for Beavers and Scouts- night dependant. This policy attempts to explain how we match places, as they become available, with young people on the list.
We are happy to welcome 4-17 year olds to the group. To join, please fill out the form found on the link below; please not our packs havent been updated yet to reflect our Squirrel section, but the details remain the same as Beavers in terms of costs etc:
Here is our welcome booklet, you will need to complete the relevant pages and hand them into the Section Leader either prior to arrival or on your first night.
What you need to do:
- For a young person to be added to the joining list, the following details MUST be supplied: full name, date of birth, address and postcode, and phone and email contact details of at least one parent/guardian.
- Young people approaching the Beavers joining age (6 years) may only be added to the list from birth, though will be allocated to a colony when they approach 5.
- If a young person waiting for a particular Section does not obtain a place in time to join that Section, then they will remain on the list for the next Section up.
- Our Group relies on the efforts of our adult volunteers (Leaders, Assistants, Executive Committee etc), without whom it would simply not continue. We always need more adult volunteers. Therefore, we give a high priority to those on the waiting list who have an adult family member who is willing and able to take on a Role within the Group.
- The age ranges for the Sections are: Beavers: 6 to 8 years, Cubs: 8 to 10½ years, Scouts: 10½ to 14 years.
- Scouting is open to all young people (irrespective of gender, faith, ability, sexuality or any other factors). If a young person needs additional support in order to participate in scouting, this should be discussed with the leaders, who will work with parents to establish a plan of action.
- The school that a young person attends is NOT a factor in deciding the priority for allocation of places.
We have our own branding on hoodies and active gear. You can order from here: https://5th-worcester.myspreadshop.co.uk
Priorities when allocating places
The following is a list of criteria that we use when allocating places to young people – in approximate order of priority (highest priority first). Nevertheless, please note that allocation of all places is at the discretion of Section Leaders and the Group Scout Leader:
- The young person is already a member of 5th Worcester, and is moving up from the section below (ie Beavers to Cubs or Cubs to Scouts).
- A parent or other adult family member commits to volunteering in one of the following uniformed roles: Leader, Assistant Leader or Section Assistant.
- The young person is already a member of The Scout Association at a Group outside of Worcester District and has recently moved house to Worcester.
- The young person has a sibling who is already a member of 5th Worcester
- If allocated a place, the young person will have at least one year within the Section being joined before reaching the age of moving up to the next Section
- After all of the above have been taken into account, the amount of time spent on the waiting list will be considered as a factor.
- If a young person already has a place in one of our Scout Troops and wishes to transfer to the other Troop, no special priority will be given to such a request.
- A young person wishing to transfer from another Group within Worcester District to 5th Worcester is given no special priority.
To rto discuss volunteering opportunities or our Admissions Policy, please contact us. If you wish your young person to join please use the link at the top of this page.